I am really hammering home the importance protein in the morning! These are some great vegetarian options, which are also diabetes-friendly! Eat up!
1. Egg Whites and Spinach
- 1 ½ cups egg whites
- 1 package (8oz) frozen organic spinach (I use Earthbound Farms Organic brand) or fresh spinach (double the amount)
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
Sauté egg whites separately from the spinach and mix together once cooked. Sauté over medium heat, using approximately 2 tbsp of olive oil in each pan.
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup raw rolled oats or steel cut oats, preferably organic
- 1 ½ tsp cinnamon
- 2 tbsp ground flaxseed (Longo’s has a blueberry flavoured ground flax)
Bring the water to a boil then add the oats and cook according to the instructions on the package. Once cooked, add the fresh ground cinnamon and ground flaxseed.
3. Baked Beans
- 150 g (or approximately 1/2cup) cooked kidney beans
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 clove of garlic minced
- Cracked black pepper
- 1 medium tomato washed and chopped (preferably organic, I like Roma tomatoes best)
Drizzle olive oil into the pan, add the minced garlic, tomato, and kidney beans. Sauté over medium heat until cooked. Add oregano (desired amount) and cracked pepper, stir to mix. Enjoy!
Disclaimer: always check with your physician before making any health interventions.